New Player Guide Series: ONE
We are ecstatic that you are interested in joining us! Xiunus is an Art Roleplaying Game - ARPG for short. By joining us, you take on the role as a researcher hired by DPIP, the Department of Protected Inhabited Planets, to start a new colony and take in Xiunus’ inhabitants.
You can earn items, currency, and experience points to level up your playable characters by creating visual art pieces and written works.
When clicking on register, you will be shown a form with the following items: Colony Name, Region, Email, and Password.
Colony Name: This is the name of your colony and your unique identifier, not quite the same as a username.
Region: You must pick a region to complete registration. This can be changed once every quarter in the user settings. It's important for region-related bonuses and observations, which are randomly rolled occurrences that you may request during art and literature activities.
Once you hit Register, you'll need to confirm your email address. Some email providers can have issues receiving email from our website, so if this is the case please let us know on Discord! Gmail is a good bet for being able to receive the emails.
After confirming your email, if you try to access your setting, you will be prompted to authenticate your account via one of several social media platforms, including Discord, Deviantart, Twitch, or Toyhouse. This is mandatory in order for you to participate in the game as a whole and is one of our spam-prevention .
Now that you’re registered, let’s have a quick look over the UI and give you a basic rundown of where everything is!
As you can see from the top of your screen, there are five buttons, four of which are dropdowns: Colony, Updates, Play, Guides, and World.
Colony — This first menu option displays information important to your own colony, such as your colonists and settings.
- At a Glance takes you to a page where you can see all of your uploaded colonists as well as their stats and skills.
- My Activity is an overview of your colony, listing out some important information, such as how many unweaned whelps (children) your colonists have, how many submissions you have pending, and a button to increase your maximum population count using our in-game currency called Research Points.
- My Colony is your profile page, the public-facing page for others to look at your screen.
- My Colonists are the characters who have joined your colony.
- My Cargo is an additional dropdown that links to pages such as your cargo bay (inventory and bank), your badges, and trades.
- My Nursery won't be immediately available to you, but can be unlocked by purchasing the applicable Research using Research Points.
- My Blueprints are the crafting recipes that you have unlocked.
Updates — These are our staff-posted updates and news posts.
Play — This menu item is a dropdown that directs you to different activities you can partake in with your colonists. These can be art/literature submission based on fully automated, though usually they involve using the Submission form, found under Submit.
Guides — This includes this very newbie guide, along with others, such as our design service, how to design your colonist, how to get more colonists, and guides focusing on Research and Experience.
World — Lastly, in the world section you can find the codex with details about the world, its species, items, and more. Here you can also find the shops, colonist and native directories, and the immigration center.
As soon as you join, you'll have an item called a "Starter Pack" in your inventory! If you go to your inventory (under the User tag in the sidebar), you'll find the item. To open it, click on it, select the item from the list of "Item Variations" and select "Open", then hit "Open" again in the little menu that pops up.
Your starter pack contains a gift of items, a handful of Immigration Tokens (to buy new colonists from the Immigration Center), and a slot to randomize your first colonist: a tsabhua.
Once you've received the "Starter Colonist" item from your starter pack, redeem it in much the same way that you opened your starter pack. Your new colonist will be automatically randomized for you - If you wish to reroll manually, please send us a claim to request reroll!
Your first colonist will then look something a little like this.
Once you submit your design update and it gets admin-approved, you can start playing.
Researchers are an important part of the Xiunus economy. They're basically personal characters of your own that act as intermediaries between your colonists (tsabhua, belemoid, etc) and DPIP (the meta "corporation" that runs Xiunus behind the scenes and also a playful term for admins).
Researchers can be anything and everything, so long as they are:
- Sapient and sentient (They have perception of "self" and can communicate with other sentient + sapient races)
- Not one of the species playable on Xiunus. (Aka, no Tsabhua, Belemoid, or Tark'ee.)
This means that you can include other ARPG species or intelligent animals as your researcher! Including a researcher in an art piece or literature piece with your colonists will grant a bonus to their experience gains.